Personality & Character
Mirage has pride in her duties as a pilot, but this often leads her to take things too seriously, becoming inflexible as a result.
Mirage comes from a prominent lineage: she is the daughter of Miranda Jenius, the niece of Mylene Flare Jenius from Macross 7, and granddaughter of Max and Milia Jenius from the first Macross series. Because of this, she constantly faces the pressure of living up to the reputation of her legendary ancestors.
When Hayate Immelman becomes a member of Delta Flight, Mirage is assigned as his training officer, much to her dismay. At first they clashed due to differing opinions and piloting styles, but they later reached a point where they can support each other in the battlefield effectively. Mirage started to develop feelings for Hayate, getting jealous when she sees him and Freyja Wion together.
Skills & Abilities
Despite her roots, Mirage's piloting skill is only above-average at best, nowhere near the proficiency of her famous aunt and grandparents. This was evident early on as she was a second late in ascending after a synchronized mini-performance alongside Walküre.
As Messer Ihlefeld points out, her flying style is manual-grade and predictable. Even so, she does her best to become better through constant training.
On 2067, Mirage is stationed on Ragna as part of Third Fleet of Xaos Ragna Delta Flight. They are sent to the planet Al Shahal for a routine patrol mission, and Mirage is assigned to the ground pending further orders. She encounters Hayate Immelman and Freyja Wion fleeing local authorities at the docks of Shahal City, and pursues them to an alleyway. She mistakenly subdues Hayate, thinking he was assaulting Freyja, and immediately apologizes. A scramble alert is sounded when a Var Syndrome outbreak spreads among the local Zentradi military forces. Mirage boards her VF-31C, and joins the rest of Delta Flight and Walküre in battle. The Aerial Knights suddenly fold in and take out Al Shahal's planetary defenses, and proceed to engage Delta Flight and Walküre members. The situation is complicated when Hayate boards a VF-171 Nightmare Plus to save Freyja from a rogue Zentradi. The battle ends with the Aerial Knights retreating, and Mirage furious at Hayate's recklessness.
The pair would meet again on Ragna, where Freyja auditions to join Walküre and succeeds. Hayate himself is scouted by Arad Mölders, curious if he is related to an old comrade, Wright Immelman. Mirage is then assigned to be Hayate's instructor, much to her dismay. She is shocked by these turn of events, and the two endure a testy relationship throughout his training. Hayate, determined to prove Mirage wrong, succeeds in beating her after an intense dogfight training session using special VF-1EX Valkyrie.
As war with the Kingdom of the Wind intensified, Mirage grew closer to Hayate, but was unsure of her true feelings towards him. They bond as teammates while aboard the colony attached to the Macross Elysion. At some point, Mirage notices Hayate and Freyja growing closer towards one another, and wonders if she is incapable of feeling the same way. Mirage would later discover Freyja's singing caused the Var Syndrome to affect Hayate. This prompts Freyja to withdraw from singing, upsetting Hayate who only wishes to protect her smile. This conflict all comes to a head when Mirage declares she loves both Freyja and Hayate, and wants to support them any way she can.
On the eve of the final battle on Ragna, Mirage discovers Freyja's rapidly aging condition, and is told not to tell Hayate for fear that he would refuse to fight. Mirage agrees, albeit reluctantly. As Roid Brehm's Protoculture device begins to affects the entire galaxy, Mirage falls into a dream-like state, seeing herself as a child playing inside the cockpit of her grandparent's VF-9 Cutlass. She realizes just how much Hayate means to her accepting who she was, and pushes Hayate to declare his love for Freyja. This break's Freyja's stupor, who begins singing and releases the galaxy's inhabitants from the device's control. Hayate and Freyja then form a team, and assault Roid's superweapon. They are assisted by Keith Aero Windermere, who lands the killing blow on Roid.
With the Protoculture device destroyed, and withdrawal of the Windermerian forces, Mirage lands her VF-31 on a beaches of Ragna, and stares contently at the sky.
Notes & Trivia
- Her middle name shares the same Katakana as the middle name of her grandmother, Milia Fallyna Jenius.
- She has a beloved pet Mercat named Q-Lulu.
- Milia, Mylene and Mirage, all share the initials M. F. J.
- On a stamp card for the series released in late March, where one had to collect three stamps corresponding to Hayate Immelman, Freyja and Mirage, Mikumo Guynemer's English name was incorrectly placed above the image of Mirage.
- Mirage Farina Jenius was ranked the fourth best female character in the July, 2016 issue of NewType Magazine.
- Chuck Mustang calls her Miss Goody Two Shoes.
- Arad Mölders calls her the Naive Little Girl.
- Mirage has her own segment in Delta Mini-Theater called "Mirage's Diary".
- She often tells others "If you have any complaints, please report to my superiors".
- In Macross Δ Scramble, she has a pre- and post-mission conversation with Mylene Flare Jenius, whom she adresses as her aunt. However, since Mylene retains her age (14) in-game, she gets confused by this and takes slight offense. Post-mission, Mirage properly introduces herself to the still-confused (and angry) Mylene as the latter's niece.