The VF-171 Nightmare Plus is the current New United Nations Spacy main variable fighter that evolved from the VF-17S Nightmare built in the late 2030s. The VF-17 Nightmare was designed by General Galaxy originally as a heavy variable fighter for special operations, but the New U.N. Spacy wished to pursue a mass production model of the Nightmare that would be built in far greater numbers.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
A reconnaissance version of the VF-171 Nightmare Plus with equipment improvements, a cockpit for accomodating EX-Gear, enhanced engines and MDE armaments. Features a rotating radome and other ELINT equipment.
First created by the Macross Frontier Fleet, new components originate from the VF-19 Excalibur and VF-25 Messiah. A Commander unit equipped with the AAS-171 Armored Pack is called a Super Nightmare Plus.
- Gun Pod
- Howard GU-14B or General Galaxy MC-17C
- Mauler REB-22 Beam Cannon
- Erikon AAB-7B Beam Cannon
- Bifors BML-02S Micro-Missile Launchers
- AVPAGC/MEDC30-EX-A 30mm Quantum Beam Gun
Special Equipment & Features
- Underwing Hardpoints
- Pin-Point Barrier System
- AAS-171 EX Armored Pack
- VF-171EX Nightmare Plus
According to Shōji Kawamori, the VF-171 Nightmare Plus was chosen as the main variable fighter for the 2059 setting because the previously designated U.N. Spacy main variable fighter, the VF-19F Excalibur, appeared too much like a "hero" unit. Kawamori also desired a fighter that was clearly distinguishable from the hero unit of the Macross Frontier series, the VF-25 Messiah.
Notes & Trivia
- The VF-171EX is given the pejorative moniker "catch-up unit" by Ozma Lee due to the upgrade being a futile attempt to keep up with the VF-25, as well as the Vajra.
- In Macross Δ Scramble, there is a playable VF-171EX variant used by Chaos, though it still has N.U.N.S. markings.