Skull Flight (スカル小隊) was led by ace pilot Roy Focker, named as such due to the skull marking usually emblazoned on his personal units. His first sortie as Skull Leader was in 2008, training rookie pilots with the newly rolled out VF-0 Phoenix and later facing off against Anti-U.N. Forces, among them his former instructor, D.D.Ivanov . F-14 pilot Shin Kudō and his radar intercept officer Edgar LaSalle later joined after recovering from being shot down .
His call sign and status as Skull Leader remained even after being assigned to the SDF-1 Macross. Roy's earlier subordinates were not clearly identified, but he later takes former stunt pilot junior Hikaru Ichijyo under his wing after the latter enlists as a military pilot. Hikaru was eventually promoted and became the leader of the Vermillion Flight.
After Roy's death, Vermilion Flight assumed the mantle of the Skull Squadron. Hikaru inherited the Skull Leader title as well as his senior's VF-1S Valkyrie.
In an alternate universe, Roy was still leader of the Skull Squadron while his subordinates were Hikaru, Max and Kakizaki. Max became Skull Leader after Roy's passing, but was taken over by Hikaru when Max became MIA following his duel with Milia Fallyna.
- Roy Focker (Skull Leader)
- Shin Kudō (Skull 4 during Basic Training, later changed to Skull 2)
- Edgar LaSalle (Radar Intercept Officer)
- Roy Focker (Skull Leader) (SDFM: "Countdown")
- Hikaru Ichijyo (Former Vermilion Leader, became Skull Leader after Roy's death) (SDFM: "Burst Point")
- Maximilian Jenius (Formerly Vermilion 3, became Skull 3)
- Hayao Kakizaki (Formerly Vermilion 2, became Skull 2)
- Roy Focker (Skull Leader) 
- Maximilian Jenius (Skull 13, Skull Leader after Roy's demise) 
- Hikaru Ichijyo (Skull 11, Skull Leader after Max became MIA)
- Hayao Kakizaki (Skull 12)
- Hikaru Ichijyo (Skull Leader)
- Millard Johnson
- Macross Zero 1
- Macross Zero Episode 2
- Macross Frontier
- The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?