The United Nations Spacy (統合宇宙軍 Tōgō Uchūgun?), usually referred to as U.N. Spacy and sometimes U.N.S., is a branch of the United Nations Forces charged with its defense in space, as seen in the official Macross Timeline. They also appear in the Super Dimensional Fortress Macross II: Lovers Again and its movie adaptation.
The U.N. Spacy is the space defense branch of the United Nations Forces, which itself is under the command of the United Nations Government. They have the capabilities to engage in aerial and maritime warfare similar to the U.N. Air Force and U.N. Navy, respectively. They were succeeded by the New United Nations Spacy following the establishment of the New United Nations Government.
The organization's name is a portmanteau of Space and Navy, therefore making the word Spacy. It was established by the United Nations Government in order to defend Earth from a possible attack by hostile aliens. However, from 1999 to 2008 the U.N. Spacy was also involved in the Unification Wars, fighting against the Anti-U.N. Forces that were opposed to the formation of a unified world government. A year later the U.N. Spacy was involved in the subsequent Space War I, defending Earth from a hostile extraterrestrial race called the Zentradi.
At the time of the Zentradi invasion, the U.N. Spacy's assets included military bases on Earth, the Moon and Mars, squadrons of Variable Fighters and other mecha, several capital ships in orbit and the repaired SDF-1 Macross on South Ataria Island, the flagship of the United Nations Spacy.
Space War IEdit
- Skull Squadron
- Skull Flight
- Vermillion Flight
- Windsor Squadron (ウィンザー中隊?)
Notes & TriviaEdit
- The term "Spacy" (宇宙軍 Uchū Gun?, lit. "space military" or "space army") was coined by the show's creators as a portmanteau of "space" and the suffix "-y" to be analogous to the words army (陸軍 Riku Gun?, lit. "land military" or "land army") and navy (海軍 Kai Gun?, lit. "maritime military" or "maritime army"). This word has been subsequently used in sci-fi media outside of the Macross franchise.
- ↑ Official Macross Chronology. Pages 54 and 55. Macross Perfect Memory. Reference Book. 260 A4 pages. Minori Library, Japan. Y2800. 1983, October 10.
- ↑ Mecha Data. The Super Dimension Fortress Macross Liner Notes. AnimEigo (2001-12-21). Retrieved on 2009-04-28. “After a mysterious alien spaceship crash-landed on Earth in 1999, a worldwide consortium of researchers began to study and reverse-engineer it. The effort led to the ten-year reconstruction of the ship into the flagship of the new United Nations Spacy.”
- ↑ Character Notes. The Super Dimension Fortress Macross Liner Notes. AnimEigo (2001-12-21). Retrieved on 2009-05-12. “Bruno J. Global rose through the ranks of the United Nations Forces thanks to his exploits during the Unification Wars. He helmed ships ranging from a naval submarine and space destroyer to the flagship of the infant Spacy: the Macross fortress.”