The VF-171 Nightmare Plus is the current New United Nations Spacy main variable fighter that evolved from the VF-17S Nightmare built in the late 2030s. The VF-17 Nightmare was designed by General Galaxy originally as a heavy variable fighter for special operations, but the New U.N. Spacy wished to pursue a mass production model of the Nightmare that would be built in far greater numbers.
Technology & Combat CharacteristicsEdit
This version of the VF-171 multipurpose heavy fighter is specifically designed as an anti-Vajra variant with equipment improvements, a cockpit for accomodating EX-Gear, enhanced engines and MDE armaments.
- Bifors AMG-30 30mm Heavy Machine gun
- Erikon AAB-9A beam cannons
- Howard GU-14B custom gatling gun pod
Special Equipment & FeaturesEdit
- Underwing Hardpoints
- Pin-Point Barrier System
- AAS-171 EX Armored Pack
- VF-171EX Nightmare Plus (Kite Kinjo Machine)
- A pink-colored variant piloted by Kite Kinjo in Macross Δ Gaiden: Macross E.
- It has a special Pin-point Barrier that enables the Valkyrie in Battroid mode to perform melee attacks with its fists.
- The fighter is also equipped with a radome that serves as a stage for live performances by Pirika Polywanov of the idol music group Thrones. The head is unique after the original was damaged in battle against a rampaging Una-mushi.
Notes & TriviaEdit
- The VF-171EX is given the pejorative moniker "catch-up unit" by Ozma Lee due to the upgrade being a futile attempt to keep up with the VF-25, as well as the Vajra.
- In Macross Δ Scramble, there is a playable VF-171EX variant used by Chaos, though it still has N.U.N.S. markings.